Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Linux.com is still stalled

Early in January, I posted a news item at The Linux Tutorial site called Linux.com is changing. I enjoyed the news features and frequently posted to the Linux.com NewsVac but, when I visited their site shortly after the new year, I was confronted with a discussion forum on their main page where a news features page had been. There was a short explanation as to what what happening, and a "please stay tuned for further developments" message, but that was it. I've tried to be patient, but gave into temptation and dropped in on them again today. Alas, nothing seems to have changed. There have been some posts to their forums in January, but no other apparent activity. I looked for more notices about what may have changed or changes to come, but found nothing. From the stark absence of information to the contrary, and the fact that their discussion forums appear on their main page, I can only believe that Linux.com is focusing on developing its boards to the (at least temporary) exclusion of all other concerns. Frankly, do we really need yet another Linux discussion board? It seems like the web is more or less saturated with them (then again, you could say the same thing about Linux news sites and particularly, about blogs). There's nothing on their site that specifically says "Contact Us", though you can still submit a story to the NewsVac and comment on prior feature notices. None of the forums in their board seems quite designed for making comments about the changes they've made. About the only thing I can do is to email their editorial staff at Linux.com to see if they can shed some light on the future of their site. While LXer.com tends to be my favorite Linux news site (and it's easier to submit material to them), I still enjoy some of the in-house staff's insights at Linux.com. I'll let you know if or when I hear back from them. Update: I just got an email back. Basically my source is sworn to secrecy about what's upcoming, but information will be forthcoming once the "powers-that-be" say "Go".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make comments.